If you had to choose just one, must-read book, what would it be?
Below, I’ve put together my list of favorite books on motivation, growth, spirituality, and creativity. I chose these because, while I’ve been influenced by many different books, these have had the most profound impact in my life.
These books help you change your life by helping you to change your mind. The more willing you are to examine your thoughts and beliefs, the more you can learn and grow from them.
Here is my list of my favorite must-read books, what I’ve learned from them, and how they might serve you.
1. War of Art: Winning the Inner Creative Battle by Steven Pressfield. Resistance stands in the way of achieving our biggest, most important goals. If you can learn to recognize it, understand it, and make it work for you, you’ll be on the path to major creative breakthroughs. Read this if: You want to accomplish a major goal but are feeling blocked.
2. Playing Big: Practical Wisdom for Women who want to Speak Up, Create, and Lead by Tara Mohr. If you’ve spent your life playing by the rules, and you still aren’t happy, this is the book for you. Learn to manage your inner fear and self-doubt and not let them get the best of you. Read this if: Exactly as the title says — you’re ready to speak up, create, and lead.
3. The Untethered Soul: The Journey Beyond Yourself by Michael A. Singer. To find and create inner peace, you must start with your thoughts. Once you begin to question your own thoughts, emotions, and actions, you can start to change your life experiences. Read this if: You want to find a sense of peace and dive deeper into your thoughts.
4. Louder Than Words: Harness the Power of Your Authentic Voice by Todd Henry. Building your unique brand means finding your authentic voice. Henry takes you through a process of creating and defining your authentic voice, and then sharing it with the world. Read this if: You are building a business or platform and care deeply about being authentic and true to yourself.
5. Creative Visualization by Shakti Gawain. Explore how visualization can help you manifest the positive changes that you want to see in your life. If you’re curious about visualization but don’t know where and how to start, this book will guide you. Read this if: You want to learn more about visualization and how it can work for you.
6. Turning Pro: Tap into your Inner Power and Create Your Life’s Work by Steven Pressfield. Pressfield discusses what it means to be an amateur vs. a pro. Are you just going through the motions, or are you really invested in yourself? Declaring yourself a pro, – and acting accordingly — is the way to reach your true potential. Read this if: You are ready to step up to the plate when it comes to your creative work.
7. Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear by Elizabeth Gilbert. We must pursue the path of curiosity, even in the face of fear. Gilbert discusses the call to create as a gift from the universe. If you hear the call, it is inherent upon you to heed the message. Read this if: You are ready to finally act on that creative dream you’ve had.
8. Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less by Greg McKeown. If you have too many things to do and not enough time to do them, here’s a new approach. Instead of getting the most done in the least time, this approach is different. By carefully and consciously choosing your most essential tasks, you have greater impact and control over your life. Read this if: You are feeling stretched for time, have tried everything, and need another way.
9. The Big Leap: Conquer your Hidden Fear and Take Life to the Next Level by Gay Hendricks. The only thing standing between you and your full potential are your limiting beliefs and fear. Once you learn how to recognize the fears, you can make huge leaps forward to living the life you truly want. Read this if: You’re ready to take the big leap, but still are plagued with self-doubt.
1o. The Universe Has Your Back: Transform Fear into Faith by Gabrielle Bernstein. Gabby shares how fear holds us back in our lives. By replacing fear with faith, we learn to expect the best, know that we are supported, and trust the universe. Read this if: You struggle to trust that everything is working out in your favor.
I’d love to hear from you: What are you favorite books that have been the most influential in helping you? Why?