Do I need a Coach or a Consultant?
As a business owner or solopreneur looking for help, you may not be sure what kind of service you need. Depending on your needs, you may benefit from coaching or consulting services, or a combination of both.
When you have your own business and work for yourself, your work is deeply intertwined with your life. Often what’s happening within your business is a microcosm of what’s happening within your life. Issues like time management, work life balance, prioritization, and self-care are usually key pain points. These issues (and more) can be addressed through coaching. In coaching, we take a look at what’s working and not working for you in your life and business and make changes accordingly. Changes in one area have a direct effect on the other.
In some some circumstances, you may be at a stage where you want to focus solely on your business needs, including developing your brand, putting together a marketing plan and getting recommendations. As a consultant, I will work with you to understand your business goals, develop your brand, and formulate a marketing plan that works for you.
If you are a solopreneur or business owner, how do you know if you need coaching or consulting, or a mix of both? Here are additional descriptions of each to help you determine what’s best.
Coaching can focus on any (and every) part of your life that you would like to improve: personal development, career, or relationships, to name a few. Coaching focuses on the big picture of what you want to create in your life and uncovering your highest potential.
As a certified coach, I work with you on …
- Getting clear and figuring out what you want
- Setting and achieving meaningful goals
- Breaking through blocks and challenges
- Finding and sustaining motivation
- Enhancing your productivity
- Developing a more focused mindset
- Thriving in times of uncertainty
- Managing stress, anxiety, and overwhelm
- Creating a business that aligns with and supports your values
- Staying accountable to yourself and your goals
As your coach, I serve as your sounding board, your partner, your cheerleader, and support resource. I work with you to develop and and actualize goals that will help to move you forward in your life. The end result of coaching is personal growth, clarity on your next steps, and the framework you need to create the life and business you want.
Consulting is for solopreneurs and business owners who want to start, grow, or improve their current strategy to better achieve their business and branding goals. Consulting provides you with plans, recommendations, and actions you can take to build a stronger, more cohesive brand.
As a brand consultant, I can help you with:
- Aligning business goals to brand goals
- Defining and managing your brand
- Developing a marketing plan
- Determining your value proposition and strategic differentiators
- Getting clear on your target audience
- Describing your service offerings
- Developing your online content strategy, including social media and blogs
- Streamlining your efforts with day to day systems and tools
- Deciding what you can do vs what you can outsource
- Determining your priorities and what you can do now to maximize impact
As your consultant, I am your dedicated expert and advisor. I help you to develop a strategy, define your brand, communicate your message, and implement a marketing plan that you can manage. The end result is a clearly defined brand strategy that aligns with your business goals, one that you can stand behind and manage on a day to day basis.
STILL CONF– USED?
In short, a coach works on answering questions as to the “why” and the “what” of your life. What do you want, and why do you want it? What are the things that are standing in your way of achieving it?
A consultant takes your business and brand goals and helps you develop the “how,” “where,” and “when,” providing advice, recommendations and tactical to-dos for your business.
Often, clients are best served by the skills and expertise provided by both a coach and a consultant. It can be extremely helpful to find these skillsets in one person.
In my work with business owners, I take a hybrid approach of coach-consultant, which can benefit you in several ways:
- Allows you to get clear and tap into your vision of what you want to create in your business
- Provides space for you to focus on the your vision first, before moving to the tactical planning stage
- Includes tangible takeaways, plans, and recommendations for moving you forward
- Acts as a holistic approach taking you from start to finish, idea to implementation
Still not clear what you need? Let’s chat. I offer a free 30 minute consultation to discuss your current situation and figure out what works best for you.