Do you have a purpose-driven business?
The word “purpose-driven” can mean many things, but for me, it means:
- You feel you have a purpose or calling to accomplish through your work, no matter how big or small
- You want the work you do to serve a larger purpose, i.e., to help affect the lives of others in a positive way.
You are a purpose-driven business owner if…
- You feel called to do something more other than just make money in your business
- You want to share your gifts and talents in a way that feels authentic to you
- You care about making a positive difference in the lives of your customers
The problem with purpose
Purpose-driven business are some of the most passion, driven, committed individuals! You think of your work as a reflection of who you are and it’s important to you to set up your business in a way that’s aligned with your viewpoint of the world.
The tricky part can be translating your purpose and the purpose of your business into a strategy that feels authentic to you AND attracts your ideal clients. Because unless you can communicate your purpose and impact to your audience, you won’t have people lining up to buy what you offer.
When you are able to communicate your purpose effectively, people not only buy your products and services, but they connect with who you are, and you build lifelong customers and followers who stand behind your vision and mission.
Your 10-step checklist for a purpose-driven business
These 10 key points, when which followed, will help you create and grow a sustainable business based on your purpose. When you are clear on each of these aspects, you set the foundation for making a living doing what you love.
Go through this purpose-driven business checklist and see how you stack up. Give yourself 1 point for every number you answer “yes” to.
- You know your “why.” (See more here.)
- Your business model is set up to help you execute and implement that why.
- You know what you want to achieve through your work — for both yourself and those you serve.
- You can clearly articulate the value and impact of your work — i.e., not just the results you provide, but what those results truly mean for your clients.
- You know your personal and business values.
- You set up your business and make decisions in a way that reflects those values.
- You get to do your best work — the work you love to do, that only you can do — regularly in your business.
- What you say (your marketing and your messaging) is consistent and in alignment with who you are.
- You feel fully in integrity with yourself in your business. (You stand 100% behind what you do and how you do it!)
- Your work is the truest expression of who you are, and allows you to express your gifts, skills, and talents in the way you best know how.
How did you stack up?
8-10 points: Congrats! Your business is super aligned with your purpose and you probably feel both inspired and fulfilled by your work. The key is to keep showing up and sharing your message in a way that resonates with your audience and also feels authentic to you.
5-7 points: You’re on the right track and have likely done some soul-searching to understand what you want to accomplish through your business. This is great! Now it’s time to take it one step further and consider what it would look like to be completely aligned with every aspect of your business.
2-4 points: You have some aspects of your purpose that are woven into your business, but you’ve likely never thought of your business in this specific framework. Ask yourself: What is really important about the work I’m doing? What does my audience need to know about why I do this work?
0-1 points: It’s time to reconnect with yourself and why you want to do this work. Is it fulfilling and meaningful to you? Why or why not? What is missing from your current work that you would need to have to feel more fulfilled?
Does something feel off or unclear about your purpose, but you don’t know what?
If you feel like something is missing or out of alignment in your business, I can help. Now through the end of this month, you can sign up for a free 30 minute business clarity coaching session, no strings attached!
Want to connect with other purpose-driven entrepreneurs building a business? Join the Create group on Facebook!