Why you should do a mid-year review on your business (and how to do it)
Believe it or not, we’re halfway through the year! How are things going in your business?
Mid-year is a perfect time to press pause and check in. Why? Many times we wait until the end of the year to assess our progress and how we’re feeling about our business journey.
But when you pause in the middle of the year, you can course-correct, modify, and — if needed, hit the reset button — so that you feel more aligned with where you want to go in your life and business.
Here are 4 reasons to do a mid-year alignment check-in:
You’re six months into the year and into whatever plan and goals you set (or didn’t set) for yourself, and you still have six fresh months ahead of you.
Here’s why now is a great time for a mid-year check-in:
– It’s not just about your numbers. While I do believe in looking at your numbers, no matter what story your numbers tell, how you feel about those results is a better gauge. It’s a great time for an overall gut check about how you’re feeling about the current stage of your business.
– A lot can change in your business. Whether you just started or you’ve been in business for a few years, a lot can change over the course of six months! You might change your niche, your offers, your messaging, or your business entirely! Make sure that the path you’re on is one you still feel aligned with… if not, time for change.
– When you reflect, you learn and grow. You’ve tried some new things this year that you likely haven’t yet processed. Unless you take time out for reflection, you will miss key opportunities to learn and grow your business. To evolve, you must learn, grow and iterate.
– You have so much runway ahead of you! You still have the latter half of the year to fill with however you want! Now is a great time to think about what you want to experience in your business during the upcoming months. What do you want to change? What do you want to create?
So the time is ripe for a check-in. And you don’t need to take a ton of time or run a bunch of reports. You simply need some time to yourself.
Here’s how to do your mid-year check-in.
Do your mid-year check in when your mind is fresh, preferably early in the day or on a day where you have nothing else planned. Step away from your computer or your office entirely. Start with a meditation or some deep breathing to clear your head.
The whole point of this review is to take a birds-eye view. No reports or analytics necessary. Simply tap into what you’re feeling, and be really honest with yourself. Ask yourself the following:
- How am I feeling about my business?
- What parts of my work am I loving?
- What parts of my work am I dreading?
- What do I wish I had more of?
- What do I wish I had less of?
- How happy am I with what I’m offering?
- What’s missing?
- How do I feel about the clients I’ve been serving?
- What do I want to experience that I’m not currently experiencing?
- What needs to change in order for me to experience that?
Once you get some ideas of what you want to experience in the second half of the year, write them down on paper.
You could even make a vision board. Create something that serves as a motivating tool and reminder to keep you focused on what you want for the second half of the year.
Why alignment is so important
When you feel aligned with your business (and life), you take actions that align with how you want to feel. Things flow more smoothly. You show up more authentically. You feel better. And your results show it.
For the month of July 2019, I’m offering 20 min business alignment check-in sessions for FREE. I’ll ask the questions, you’ll answer, and you’ll walk away with insights and actions to make your second half of 2019 even better. Spots are first-come, first-served. You can book your session using this link.